|This Earth Day, Look to the Future of Lawns and Gardens with New Solutions Designed to Avoid Over and Under Watering Plants
MARYSVILLE, Ohio, April 18, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- According to the Environmental Protection Agency, experts estimate that traditional irrigation systems waste as much as 50 percent of water due to overwatering. Decades-old technology with typical clock-based irrigation timers leave homeowners paying unnecessary bills. Until now, most systems lack the technology to turn off when rain is predicted and then continue to remain active when it’s raining or when water is not needed.
With Earth Day around the corner on April 22, Scotts® is introducing its most intelligent collection ever: Gro™. Scotts combined 150 years of lawn and garden expertise with revolutionary smart watering technology to create products that save time, conserve water and provide deeper understanding of the green in your life.
“Our goal is to give homeowners simple ways to use water more resourcefully and responsibly,” said Josh Peoples, Vice President and General Manager of Scotts. “From using a smartphone to monitor sprinklers and the moisture in plant soil to only watering in specific areas where plants need it, we’re committed to providing effortless ways to not only conserve water, but also inspire people to grow, indoors or out.”
Connected Watering Solutions
Two new smart devices include the Gro 7Zone Controller and Gro Water Sensors. Both give homeowners the ability to water more intelligently from flower pots in the home and on the patio to the grass and shrubs in the lawn – all through one app, Gro Connect. Additionally, the app also gives users advice on what to grow based on their exact location and time of year. The Gro Connect app is available for free download on iOS and Android devices.
- Gro 7Zone Controller: Using real-time local weather and plant data, this device automatically adjusts and improves irrigation schedules tailored to a lawn and garden’s needs, holding off when it is likely to rain and giving plants the right amount of water needed. In ongoing testing, the controller’s technology used up to 8X less water than a typical clock-based irrigation timer over a 2-month period by accurately predicting rain events and lawn needs. Installation is easy - simply replace an old sprinkler controller with this device to monitor, make scheduling changes or turn sprinklers on/off from anywhere, anytime through your smartphone. The Gro 7Zone Controller also works with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant. MSRP: $149.99.
- Gro Water Sensors: Know exactly when your indoor and outdoor plants need water. By placing the sensors in the plant’s soil, the system is able to measure the moisture content and use science to alert homeowners when they are thirsty. Using data from a catalog of more than 50,000 plants, alerts are automatically sent via push notifications or email when it’s time to water. Each Hub has the ability to connect up to 32 Water Sensors. MSRP: $99.99 (Starter Kit includes Sensor and Hub which extends Water Sensor range up to 300 ft. – Hub is required for Sensor use); $39.99 for each additional Sensor.
Precision Garden Watering
All new Gro precision watering kits cut down on wasted water by watering precisely where plants need it, and save time by eliminating the need to hand-water. Each kit has an easy, one-time set-up, and with quick connect technology, the devices can easily attach (and detach) from any outdoor spigot. They also work with Miracle-Gro Liquafeed Universal Feeder or any timer.
- Garden Sprinkler Kit: Perfect for outdoor gardens and raised beds, this sprinkler system delivers water right to where plants need it. Covering from 10 sq. ft. up to 950 sq. ft., saving time and water in the process. MSRP: $39.99
- Garden Sprayer Kit: A network of adjustable sprayer heads will make sure everything from the plant’s root to canopy is covered, all season long. The elegant, discreet and flexible footprint covers up to 430 sq. ft. and is ideal for raised beds and gardens. MSRP: $49.99.
- Potted Drip Kit: Never drag around a hose or a heavy watering can again with this precision drip watering system – perfect for pots, patios and planters. The fully customizable system covers up to eight pots or planters. MSRP: $29.99.
The new Gro devices are now available at most national hardware retailers such as Home Depot, Lowe’s, Ace Hardware as well as Amazon. For more information about Gro and the collection of new watering solutions, visit www.mygro.com.
About Scotts Miracle-Gro
The Scotts Miracle-Gro Company is the world's largest marketer of branded consumer products for lawn and garden care and is backed by 150 years of lawn and garden expertise. The Company's brands are the most recognized in the industry. In the U.S., the Company's Scotts®, Miracle-Gro® and Ortho® brands are market-leading in their categories, as is the consumer Roundup® brand, which is marketed near worldwide by Scotts and owned by Monsanto. We maintain a minority interest in TruGreen®, the largest residential lawn care service business, and in Bonnie Plants®, the largest marketer of edible gardening plants in retail channels. The Company’s wholly-owned subsidiary, The Hawthorne Gardening Company, is a leading provider of nutrients, lighting and other materials used in the hydroponic growing industry. For additional information, visit us at www.scottsmiracle-gro.com.
The Scotts Miracle-Gro Company
Scotts Miracle-Gro Company